Brett Lee won the Allan Border Medal for 2008.
He didn't look very surprised, but I'm sure that's the fault of the Botox. I know that "I'm incredibly pleased and proud of myself, but I can't move my face" look anywhere.
He thanked his wife (who has a sore back - care factor?), his son (what the hell did he do? Bat for him in the nets?), his teammates, staff. Short and sweet acceptance speech, just as it should be.
When interviewed by Mark Nicholas he talked about his Bollywood career, his love of India, his commitment to his family, and his childhood idols Dennis Lillee and his brother Shane.
His wife Liz didn't smile very much. Maybe the orange glow of her skin was reflecting in her eyes and distracting her.
He scored 125 votes, significantly more than Matthew Hayden in second place.
And that's over for another year. Back to the cricket. Back to reality.
EDIT: Tell me it's not true!
- ► 2009 (51)
- Hello bandwagon, I'm here.
- Hoggy's going
- Brett's the one
- The glamour, the shame
- Yay for Brett and mini-punter on the way
- And you thought the Oscars were hot?
- Classic cracking captions
- He's not just back, he's sexy back!
- Commbank cricket ads
- The rhetoric of Justin Langer
- Hooray for New Zealand
- Bearing in mind that David Hussey is from WA...
- The next World Cup might be more interesting than ...
- Bizarre tidings
- What's wrong with Glenn?
- Cricketers up for grabs
- Theeeeo, way to go
- The bet of the year
- Where in the world is Ricky Ponting?
- Concerning hobbits
- cricinfo: dazed and confused
- Miss Field worships at the altar of Adam Gilchrist...
- Sri Lankan cricketers bring rain, catatonia
- A few things
- What am I prepared to lose for my conviction that ...
- Doin' my bit for the Cap'n
- Brett, Shane and... Dave
- Give me a minute to stop laughing and I'll write t...
- Open letter; why I should work for CA
- I'm only happy when it...
- Lil Dodgeball, look at him go
- Brissie is un-Australian!
- You've got to be kidding
- My rant
- Twenty20 fun on the hallowed turf
- The Satanic Circus and the big bad BCCI
- ▼ February (36)