New Zealand have won the five-match one day series 3-1. Enough said on that. Balance has been restored to the Force. But I do say, rain is ruining the summer of cricket this year, in both New Zealand and here. The Duckworth Lewis system is evil. I propose that in future when a game is washed out they should consult with me as to who the winner should be. Bugger stats, I will award the rightful victor.
In other news, I cannot find a name for the Kolkata IPL team. I have found the Bangalore Royal Challengers, Chennai Super Kings and Delhi Daredevils and they're three of the lamest team names I've ever come across (and I played sport at primary school, believe it or not).
I am going to find a name for Kolkata. Not the Cats, because the Cats are a name of a football team here who won the flag, so no. Plus I'm acutely allergic to cats, and hate them. I even have a sticker on my car that says "Ask me about microwaving cats for fun and profit." They're horrid things. Anyway, I digress.
I'm not keen on alliteration, otherwise I'd be going with Kolkata Killer Cricketers. That's got to be up there with the Delhi Daredevils. But no, I think Kolkata should take a step forward to a more sophistcated name (and by more sophisticated, I mean sophisticated at all). Kolkata Superiority Detachment. Kolkata Doomsday Purveyors. Kolkata Giant Pandas. Kolkata Rebel Alliance. Ah better not use that one, Lucas would probably sue (it does sound good though, maybe the team's admin and Georgie Lucas could come to some sort of naming rights agreement, neither could lose.) Kolkata Gladiators. Kolkata Splendour. Kolkata Sorcerers.
For lack of ideas, I choose the Kolkata Rebel Alliance. And further to that, here is my cast.
Ricky Ponting - Han Solo
David Hussey - Luke Skywalker
Brendon McCullum - Chewie (his home planet is beautiful but he does sound funny)
Ajit Agarkar - Admiral Ackbar
Sourav Ganguly - C3PO
Murali Kartik - R2D2
Shoaib Akhtar - Lando Calrissian
Ishant Sharma - Wedge Antilles
Umar Gul - Dak
Chris Gayle - Obi Wan Kenobi
John Buchanan - Yoda
Shoaib Akhtar: [after realising the Delhi Daredevils aren't as lame as their name would have you believe] Home One, this is Gold Leader.
Ajit Agarkar: We saw it. All fieldsmen, prepare to retreat.
Shoaib Akhtar: We won't get another chance at this, Admiral.
Ajit Agarkar: We have no choice, General Akhtar! Our bowlers can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Shoaib Akhtar: Ricky will have that shield down. We've got to give him more time!
If Punter was a bowler it'd work better. Still. Works for me.
- ► 2009 (51)
- It's a bird! No...
- Hello bandwagon, I'm here.
- Hoggy's going
- Brett's the one
- The glamour, the shame
- Yay for Brett and mini-punter on the way
- And you thought the Oscars were hot?
- Classic cracking captions
- He's not just back, he's sexy back!
- Commbank cricket ads
- The rhetoric of Justin Langer
- Hooray for New Zealand
- Bearing in mind that David Hussey is from WA...
- The next World Cup might be more interesting than ...
- Bizarre tidings
- What's wrong with Glenn?
- Cricketers up for grabs
- Theeeeo, way to go
- The bet of the year
- Where in the world is Ricky Ponting?
- Concerning hobbits
- cricinfo: dazed and confused
- Miss Field worships at the altar of Adam Gilchrist...
- Sri Lankan cricketers bring rain, catatonia
- A few things
- What am I prepared to lose for my conviction that ...
- Doin' my bit for the Cap'n
- Brett, Shane and... Dave
- Give me a minute to stop laughing and I'll write t...
- Open letter; why I should work for CA
- I'm only happy when it...
- Lil Dodgeball, look at him go
- Brissie is un-Australian!
- You've got to be kidding
- My rant
- Twenty20 fun on the hallowed turf
- The Satanic Circus and the big bad BCCI
- ▼ February (37)