And listen here, karma fairies, I'm not referring to exciting in terms of suspicious, high-profile deaths. Bring on the embarrassing English drunken escapades though.
The ICC has recommended that the next World Cup plays 14 teams instead of 16 and be reduced from 47 days to 38. Well this is a start, but will it be enough?
I propose that the top eight teams by ICC rankings qualify automatically, and there are two more spots available for wildcard teams who win their places in a qualification competition among the lower ranking eight teams.
I think that would be a good way of striking the balance between ensuring it's exciting as well as providing a competitive opportunity for up and coming cricketing nations (who are genuinely potentially competitive, not just there to make up numbers and be seen and not heard). Plus, that qualifying contest would be interesting to watch.
If, after a few World Cups, the minnow teams are really inspired and more places are needed, then look at expanding.
This ICC committee also recommended greater use of technology in on-field decisions. The MCC has offered up Lord's as the testing ground for the so-called Umpire Decision Review System during England/South Africa matches later in the year. I wonder what that will consist of.
Thinking back, I still am appalled by the lack of spectators at the last World Cup. It was in the Caribbean for crying out loud, it should have gone off. I think more than cutting back on the teams and length of the tournament, it should be a priority to ensure that matches are being played to be watched, not just broadcast.
At last year's World Cup, unsold tickets should have been sold to members of the local community at a price they could afford on the day. Tickets in general should be cheaper. It's wrong to deny people access to the sport we all love in the name of profit. It happens, but it's just not cricket.
And, you know, maybe this ICC committee should consider not having the last few overs of final played in total darkness. That'd be novel.
- ► 2009 (51)
- It's a bird! No...
- Hello bandwagon, I'm here.
- Hoggy's going
- Brett's the one
- The glamour, the shame
- Yay for Brett and mini-punter on the way
- And you thought the Oscars were hot?
- Classic cracking captions
- He's not just back, he's sexy back!
- Commbank cricket ads
- The rhetoric of Justin Langer
- Hooray for New Zealand
- Bearing in mind that David Hussey is from WA...
- The next World Cup might be more interesting than ...
- Bizarre tidings
- What's wrong with Glenn?
- Cricketers up for grabs
- Theeeeo, way to go
- The bet of the year
- Where in the world is Ricky Ponting?
- Concerning hobbits
- cricinfo: dazed and confused
- Miss Field worships at the altar of Adam Gilchrist...
- Sri Lankan cricketers bring rain, catatonia
- A few things
- What am I prepared to lose for my conviction that ...
- Doin' my bit for the Cap'n
- Brett, Shane and... Dave
- Give me a minute to stop laughing and I'll write t...
- Open letter; why I should work for CA
- I'm only happy when it...
- Lil Dodgeball, look at him go
- Brissie is un-Australian!
- You've got to be kidding
- My rant
- Twenty20 fun on the hallowed turf
- The Satanic Circus and the big bad BCCI
- ▼ February (37)