As we all know the Australians are playing in the West Indies at the moment.
It's nice to see the traditional gear as opposed to the gaud of the IPL and the glare of England's new outfits.
But seeing VB advertised on their shirts is disappointing.
Don't get me wrong, I like VB and as far as alcohol goes I drink just about anything.
However a big fuss has been made of late about binge drinking in this country - apparently it's 'out of control'.
As a result, the government has stuck a significant tax on lolly water drinks, Cruisers, Breezers, Ruskis, you know the ones.
But surely curbing the advertising, promotion and sponsorships for and of alcohol would be a more logical first step.
Is it cool to drink? Yes, but once upon a time it was cool to smoke. Not so anymore (at least in this country).
And whether or not we like it, I think that eventually the same bans will be implemented on alcohol advertising. I know, I love the Bundy Rum and Wolf Blass ads too.
So if we remove the advertising maybe it would have some impact, rather than just taxing the crap out of it.
Even if binge drinking wasn't spiralling upwards, I think this sort of promotion only encourages that sort of behaviour, which only contributes to such long term problems anyway.
After all, cigarette companies aren't allowed to sponsor or advertise, and for damn good reasons too. But ultimately those reasons and these reasons are the same.
As I said before, I like VB. And I lurve my talking Boony (itself a controversial promotion). But it's just not a good look.
The VB Dance - Brett was the V but Morton didn't want to play.
- ► 2009 (51)
- Oh dear, Graeme
- And then he conquered Facebook
- Daniel Vettori, Discworld overlord?
- New Zealand: letting the world down
- We're going to the Island!
- See how they run
- Oh baby!
- "Forget the Oz Open, get the VB open"
- Ricky Ponting's ultimate new accessory
- Why you should give me all your money
- Ricky Ponting does something
- True lies
- Blue... VB... headwear... nooo...
- Tipping yes for humiliation
- Kia Ora bro
- And then she rose out of the ashes...
- This is not a pipe
- Thoughts from the trenches
- I took my love down to Violet Hill.
- ▼ May (19)